I made some good headway on my Relic Knights over the weekend. Finished up my first Questing Knight with his Esper, Mallory and Quill, from the starter set:
I'm very happy with how Mallory came out with one exception: His cape. I painted his cape along with the capes for the Swordsworn, and Isabeu, but while painting Mallory himself I ended up making the highlights on the cloth around his shoulder a little brighter than the cape. I went back and tried to lighten up the cape, but the more I look at it the more I see myself fixing it when I next break out those colors.
Some of you may have noticed that Mallory looks a bit stunned. While I did not intend for him to end up like this, I did intentionally leave it that way because it makes me think of Batman:
There's a small gap between Mallory's lips, and I put a little black in there with the hope that it would look like he was making a warcry. Instead his mouth is now locked in shock and astonishment because it makes me think of Batman.
Quill came out well overall:
I was wanting to do more with him, but couldn't figure out where to actually add more pizazz. I left the eyes white as the fluff is that Espers are pure energy from one of six aspects that takes a solid form, and the idea of him having energy eyes pleases me.
Over the long weekend I started work on the Paragons. I got the base coat done, and then washed, and I started to put the next layer of grey down, and it was tedious! Thankfully I can see that it's going to look pretty damn awesome:
That's about three hours worth of work. I've been dragging my feet on the second one because I'm worried it'll take an equal amount of time and I don't want to do it in two sessions. Looking at him earlier today though I think he will be easier to paint since he is in a standing pose as opposed to Mr. Action-shot up there. Maybe I'll give it a go tonight...