I'm nearing completion of my pile of commissions. I look forward to the end, and I'll be able to breathe a bit easier knowing I've accomplished what I was tasked to do. I have some camo OGRE stuff to paint, an OGRE Mk. IIIb Custom (paint job that is), and some skeletons.
These skeletons were done with more of a, "Slop-n-Go," approach. The basic idea is to cut down on painting time for a large pile of models that are very similar. I've used single colors and followed up with a touch of drybrushing and a wash. Here's a before:
And the after:
I used two different shades of brown, one for the leather and one for the wood of the spear, and chainmail for the armor and studs. I then used a black ink with a mixture of 1 drop of ink per 2 drops of water. This allowed me to add some dark shading to the leather and wood while not being too dark to obscure the color. It also helped give definition to the armor and weapons which both received a bit of drybrushing to bring out the edges/highlights a bit more.
While they may not be much they're still decent enough to look good on the table. It also takes me about 2-4 hours of time to do a batch of five. This is ideal since it allows me to get a large number painted in a small amount of time. There's 31 total skeletons, and if I keep at it I may be able to knock out the lot within a couple of weeks.
I put down a base layer for some turrets (mobile and stationary) for the OGRE cam. I'm going off the Australian Disruptive Pattern I did a demo of for one of my early posts.
After going back and looking at the colors again it turns out that the green is too green. It should actually be tan. The thing with that is that it looks slightly green to me. I tried using a sepia was to see if it would tint the green enough to achieve a compromise.
Well it did what washes do and added definition, and even made it look a little dirty (nice touch of realism to my eyes). Sadly it is not tan enough. I'll have to fiddle with colors a bit and see what I can come up with.