UPDATE: Apparently my work has caught the eye of Matt Vancil, who wrote The Gamers: Dorkness Rising. He is quoted as saying, "The (highly accurate!) painting of a mound of dead bards mini," on my Facebook page, as well as linking to this post. Thanks Matt! Welcome to all my new visitors!
Memorial Day 2012 was when I first started this blog. I had no idea where it would go, and whether or not I'd post with any sort of regularity. Now that a year has passed I can confidently say I enjoy writing, painting, and posting pics of my work! My momentum has slowed a bit, and recently I've managed to eek out a post a week. However this blog still does not feel like a chore, and I lament being unable to paint and post more. In the time I've started painting I have achieved: painting camo, commissions, gifts, building scenery, working with different paint lines, and working with a wet palette. It's been a great year, and I look forward to what this year holds as I meet more painters, and learn more tips/tricks!
To celebrate this momentous occasion I have chosen to paint a rather fun piece, the Mound of Dead Bards:
The piece was part of add-ons for a couple of kickstarters by Dead Gentlemen/Zombie Orpheus Entertainment. You may recall my fondness for these guys when I wrote about meeting them at Gen Con 2012. The above pic is from a scene in the movie The Gamers: Dorkness Rising, and is a hilarious film to watch if you're a gamer, or if you know gamers. For more on the in-joke go here. If you liked that clip I recommend checking them out as well as their Facebook page. The bard in question is Scott C. Brown, who plays the character of Leo in Dorkness Rising.
Onto the painting!
This is a complicated piece in that there is a LOT going on. Cloaks, torsos, legs, boots, hands, faces, even a hat! The first WIP pic shows how scattered everything is, which can make the process drag a bit as it takes time to pic things out and get them painted.
As you can see I've gotten the flesh and hair done, and I believe this pic has the pants done as well. The torso/sleeves that litter the mound are just about done, and I had to go over them with metallic white and then a wash to try and get a silkier or velvety feel to them. This piece took a bit of time, but was well worth it! Here's the mostly finished product:
I say mostly done because the bard's shoulders have a striped ruffle to them, and I got the yellow base down but completely forgot the black bands. I hadn't realized my mistake until after pics had been taken, uploaded, and edited. This means I need to go back and finish up that tiny bit, so expect a follow up pic later this week.