Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Gen Con 2012! Part 1

So I've been home about two days so far, and I think I'll be spending the rest of the week recovering.  That being said, it was totally worth it!  I worked the tournament hall for Wyrd Miniatures judging some of their Malifaux tournaments for most of the weekend, but Friday was my big day.  I'm getting ahead of myself though.

It started on Thursday, and I had one hour to explore the dealers hall before I had to be at the event hall to judge the first Malifaux tournament of Gen Con.  I had two big choices on my list.  The first was Wyrd Miniatures cause even though I'd be getting credit I wanted to make sure I could grab the stuff for Malifaux that I was really wanting.  I ended up going with my other option which was to hit up the Paizo booth and get my DVD's of The Gamers: Dorkness Rising, and Journey Quest Season 1 signed by the fine folks over at Zombie Orpheus Entertainment.



I'm a huge fan of Zombie Orpheus Entertainment, and getting a chance to meet them in person was very exciting!  They were all very friendly, and they were all gamers.  What more could one ask for?  How about a group pic?



After that it was a quick trip to the event hall where I began judging tournaments.  I love playing Malifaux, and it's always a pleasure to interact with the community that's been building up around it.  I will say that the tournaments all weekend went by very smoothly with little to no drama, and with everyone working together to keep the rules clear.




So then Friday rolls along.  The big day.  This was my only day off the whole con so I would have to do my shopping and get stuff signed!  I swung by the Paizo booth again to pick up my Kickstarter items for The Mask of Death Kickstarter.  I got a color print version of the module, which was then promptly signed by the guys from Zombie Orpheus Entertainment, as well as the Mound of Dead Bards miniature.  One thing I snagged was the next print book for Schlock Mercenary.  Howard Taylor has been attending Gen Con for several years now, and while I have been a fan of his comic for a long time I hadn't read through the archives (which is a very daunting task).  I started working through the backlog by picking up the print versions at Gen Con, and Howard has always been gracious enough to draw your favorite character in the back of each copy.  Having gotten my fav characters drawn previously I asked for my favorite ship, The Post Dated Check Loan.  Howard has mentioned on occasion that drawing the ship is a bit difficult.  I asked nicely and he was happy to do so.



It was a bit hurried (there were other people waiting), but I was happy.  When I asked him if he minded my showing the picture on my blog his response was, "Yes, the world must know how badly I've drawn this!"



That's one of my favorite pics from the whole convention.

I picked up some stuff from Wyrd, including the latest book for Malifaux.  My miniatures addiction knows no bounds! 

The real thing I've been waiting for was The Gamers Live.  I had picked up a front row seat, and was very excited to be so up close I could make out facial expressions.  While I was a bit to the side of the stage (I had gotten there with only a few seconds to spare), I still managed to get some good shots.




There was even some audience participation.



Following that was filming for the next Gamers movie, The Hand of Fate.  They managed to successfully film eight minutes of footage in an hour!  There may even be a shot of me in the audience somewhere.  There's a kickstarter going on to help fund the movie right now, and if you liked the original Gamers movies I highly recommend helping out!

My Friday has been an incredible ride by this point, and the exhaustion is starting to peak it's way through the high.  However there was one more thing to do before I could call it a day.  I was already leaning towards going to the after party following The Gamers Live, but a friend's urging helped to ensure I went.  I owe him for that.



That's me with writer and producer Matt Vancil.  I had already seen him a number of times, and talked with him as well.  He was getting to know me by sight at this point, but he wasn't the only one I got a picture of myself with:

Trin Miller


Jen Page


Ben Dobyns


Steven Wolbrecht


Connor Marx


 It was an incredible honor, and really amazing to just hang out and chat with all of them.  True gamers each and every one!

I still have more to talk about, but for now I'll leave you with the pic of swag I grabbed from the con

No comments:

Post a Comment