Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Whole New World

What I started several weeks ago has finally come to a finish.  The scenery I had originally meant to create in a weekend ended up taking much longer to finish.  It was one of those situations where I accomplished what I wanted to, but then said to myself, "You know, I can do a little more."  Once I completed that, 'little more,' it turned into another little more.  I started with this:

And ended up with this:

My original pieces were just going to be pieces on a base with a simple three-layer pattern of drybrushing.  Base coat of dark grey, heavy drybrush of light grey, and a light touch of white drybrushed over the top.

Then I added texture and basing around the exposed base.  After it all got painted up I felt that it looked too bland so I added a wash to help bring out the texture.

Finally I knew that I wanted to add more depth.  As these were supposed to be ruins I wanted dead leaves and moss to be apart of these pieces.  I used scenery bits from Gale Force 9 to add both a touch of color and depth, and the moss is from Woodland Scenics grass.

You may remember me talking about the blob on the fountain from my previous post.  After I uploaded that post I heard from several people that the blob looked ok and that it would be nice to see it painted as such.  So I went and painted on some primer, and painted it green.  My original intent was to use 5-minute epoxy to add a glazed coat over it, but my epoxy had run out and I ended up using a different brand.  Turns out it's not translucent, and so my green blob is more blue with a slight green hue.  Still not the best, but it will work just fine.

I also painted up some accessories.  These are obstacles to either place on the field and add some more spice overall.

Overall I'm happy with how things turned out.  There's a decent amount of scenery, and if I make a few more pieces down the road I could easily pull together a complete set for a game table.  I like the sound of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment