A long time ago I picked up an exclusive model from Wyrd. The Nightmare Edition: Lord Chompy Bits. He's an alternate version of one of their standard leaders, and the model is incredible to both look at and hold.
He stands at almost four inches tall, and is all pewter! Why has it taken me so long to get this masterpiece built and primed? Well there are some issues I needed to overcome in order to get to this point. The first one was what to use for his base. I didn't want to use just any old base, and I had spent a lot of time looking at different bases as well as trying to come up with ideas. It wasn't until I came across War Gama's booth at Adepticon that I finally found one I was satisfied with. So I was ready to go right? Not quite:
What you're looking at is one of my first two attempts to assemble LCB. There are two main pieces: the lower half, which only has a tail which was easily attached, and the upper half, which consisted of four different arms, the shoulders, a front torso, back torso, and the head. The end result is that balancing the top half on the bottom half resulted in him becoming very top heavy and pitching forward. I ended up calling on the same friend who helped me assemble my Nicodem Avatar.
I had told my friend of my plight, and he rigged it up so that there's a center pole holding the upper half aloft. However this left a large gaping hold where the torso should join the pelvis. With so many pieces on a such a large model there was bound to be some gap issues.
I decided to attack it head on, and ended up putting some grey stuff inside along the join before finally filling out the front. I needed to add lots of filler where the shoulders topped the torso, and around each of the arms. Also had a hole in the tail to cover up, as well as some extra support I put in where the tail joined the pelvis. I think the only area I didn't use grey stuff was the jawline as it still looked natural to me.
The touch ups I put on are ok, and a casual glance won't see them, but lets take a closer look at the main gap:
It's a little rough, but not bad. I think it'll be less noticeable once it's been painted up.
While I had my greystuff out I decided to make a little gift to thank my friend for helping me out:
Just a simple tophat for him to use as a marker. The process was a bit simple. I started with a flat and thin oval which I curled up the sides on to use as the brim, and at the same time I did a flat tipped cone where I put in indentation to give the hat some life/depth.
After letting them dry I made sure that the tip of the cone was flat enough, and then I drilled a hole into it so I could use a pin to help hold it to the base.
After some glue and a couple of hours to let it dry I got out a little more grey stuff and did a little ribbon around the join. Overall I'm rather pleased with how it turned out, and I'm sure my friend will be delighted to see the results.