Thursday, April 17, 2014

Painting Challenge

Today is the conclusion to the Super Dungeon Explore expansion: The Forgotten King.  In anticipation of the upcoming minis that will follow this year (hopefully) a painting challenge thread has been started on the SDE forums.  As I picked up some SDE minis from Adepticon; I decided to throw my hat into the ring.

I decided to paint up my Vandella Succubus because she's cute, assembled, and ready to be primed:



Aside from the base game, all the SDE miniatures come pre-assembled.  This is good for the boardgame crowd as it means less tedious work or a need for tools, but less good for the hobby crowd.  Having everything assembled means it's much more difficult to get at the recessed areas, and this model was no exception.  The braids/bangs hanging down made painting the hair around her head difficult.  This was problematic because I couldn't leave it unpainted as I primed her white.  I started with the skin first though:



You can see where getting into the nooks and crannies would be difficult.  I had originally planned on doing the wing bones in black, but after consideration I ended up doing them in the same skin tone.  I like how the result came out, along with the start of the hair:



One of the fun parts about SDE models is the big eyes.  I've been spending a lot of time observing the eye colors of anime characters so I could paint up anime-style eyes on my own.  Being a fan of anime, this was a real treat for me.  I think the finished product looks pretty awesome:



While there is room for improvement I feel that this is a good start.  I've also ordered a setup for airbrushing and plan on trying that pretty soon as well, so expect some good posts about that in a week or so (once I have all my equipment).

Last but not least I've gotten the revetments painted up for my commission:

No comments:

Post a Comment