Friday, October 19, 2012

Epic Factory Line!

So I mentioned earlier in the week that I was falling behind in stuff I wanted to get painted for a commission.  Well I took the day off of work to dedicate to painting, and boy did I make some headway! 

The above pic is what I was drawing from for potential models to be painted.  I started at about 9:45am and finished up around 8:20pm.  A little under eleven hours, and what did I finish out of that mass of metal?

One of the two remaining OGRE camo units as well as the Mk. III OGRE itself!  Well let's take a walk through my day then!  First off let's put up the inspirational pic I was going off of.

For this mobile unit of GEV's I was asked to paint them up in German Desert Flektarn.  I used a beige base with splotches of dark green and dotted over with an orange brown.  I could've gone with a darker brown, but settled for the lighter.  My reasoning is that natural lighting would be able to more easily dull the brown, but have a difficult time getting it to be brighter when in direct light.

Here we are when I took my lunch break.

Doesn't look like much so far?  In a couple of hours I had the base coat on the OGRE as well as the wash.  I was using the same technique and style that I used for the Mk. V, so that made things a lot easier on that front.  I also got the basing done for the infantry.  If you look at the GEV's themselves you'll notice a black rim that's been drybrushed over with bone on all but one.  The GEV's are hovercraft vehicles, and my friend wanted them to show some wearing around the base since these were supposed to be stationed in sandy terrain.  The one GEV isn't drybrushed because he had been set aside out of my line of sight when I stopped for lunch.

The weather was getting to me, and I had been working through a headache all day.  I decided to take a break and get some chai, and snap a pic of course.

The Mk. III got his second base coat on; enhancing the lines between his armored plates.  I also got the rest of the base coat on the GEV's and infantry.  It's about this point that I felt like I was really not making any progress, but it's difficult to see progress when you're getting your base layers down.  The base layers have to cover the entire miniature.  You gotta get them into the recessed areas for shadows, and to cover primer.  It's simple but grueling work.

A couple of hours later I took a break for dinner.  Mmmmmmm, leftover pizza.

WHOA!  Color!  In just a couple of hours I had gotten the stripes done on the Mk. III, and the dark green of the desert flek on all the GEV's and infantry.  This is where I started to get my second wind.  After powering through all the grunt work and finally getting to see some actual detail I started to pick up momentum.  It was about three hours later that I brought everything to a conclusion.  Getting the fine details onto so many miniatures in one setting bogs things down a bit, but there's a big sense of satisfaction for completing so many all at once.  Let's take a closer look.

The Mk. III:  This guy was a LOT easier to paint compared to the Mk. V.  That's probably because he was smaller, and my friend asked if I could make the stripes on it a little bit bigger than I did on the Mk. V.

Cossack GEV's:  These guys were a breeze to paint.  The only difficulty I had with them is that they were almost too small to handle.

Light GEV's:  Similar to the Cossack GEV's but with the exception that they were easier to handle.

GEV PC's:  I like these, they were easy to paint, and left plenty of room to be a bit more freehand.

Infantry:  These guys were simple to paint, except for the basing.  I knew I wanted to do sand so I chose an orange brown at first, but after dry brushing the bone layer on top it just wasn't getting the look I wanted.  So I went back and mixed orange and bone together and re-did the base-coat on the terrain.  After dry brushing bone over it I felt better with how it looked.  The only complaint about painting the infantry itself is that the Desert Flek is peppered with small brown dots, but it's difficult to pull off that look on models of this scale.  I still think they turned out nicely.

All in all a pretty intense day of painting, but with satisfying results.  I've probably knocked off a couple of weeks worth of painting because of today, and this definitely is helping me close that gap.  After all this I have six wights, another camo unit, a Mk. IIIb OGRE, and 25-30 skeletons to paint.  Not bad for a day's work.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice camo scheme well applied. Makes the models look really interesting too.