As a Henchman for Wyrd Miniatures it is my solemn duty to spread the joy and love of Malifaux. To do this I run demos mainly, as well as leagues. Every now and then though, I run a tournament! My first tournament for Wyrd is going to be called The Fetid Cup, so named for my good friend who took a job in another state. I miss him a lot, and haven't gotten to play as much Malifaux since he left. Fetid Strumpet is his username, and the tournament is obviously dedicated to him. In addition to other prize support for this tournament I wanted to make up three very special trophies.
I thought it would be appropriate to use his three favorite miniatures from his faction, Resurrectionists. Topping the list is his favorite character from the setting, and favored miniature, Molly Squidpiddge.
To say that Fetid Strumpet adores Molly would be an understatement. He even goes so far as to throw a game in order to destroy any fake (not his) Molly that should be placed upon the board. In second place is the well done sculpt of an undead showgirl, the Dead Doxy.
The Dead Doxies are a normal minion, but the sculpt is very well done. It takes a lot more than what you'd think to make a good zombie miniature. Undead showgirls aren't the only attraction, and one of the main minions used by the Resurrectionist master Seamus are the Rotten Belles.
I was very surprised at how well the models turned out. It was a very simple paint job, and it had a nice effect. I used six colors in all to paint the above models (not counting the black I used for the ring around the base). So let's dig in!
I started off with a basecoat of Glorious Gold (Vallejo72056) for first/Molly, Chainmail Silver (Vallejo72053) for second/Dead Doxy, and Bright Bronze (Vallejo72057) for third/Rotten Belle. For a little while I though that the base colors themselves did a fine job, but I wanted to do something a little more (this is a tribute to my friend after all!) so I added a wash of Sepia Ink (Vallejo72091).
At first I had thought about using a black ink for the shading, but then it struck me that a medium to dark brown ink would be much better. Glad I went with my instinct on this one as the effect was wonderful! I was really surprised at how the sepia interacted with the chainmail, giving it a really rusty tin man effect! Once the ink had dried I went over them again with a heavy drybrush of their base color.
Doesn't look like that much progress does it? Just stay with me a while. I've noticed over the years that when you use a wash and drybrush over it with the basecoat that you almost seem to lose the effect. It is there though, I assure you of that. You notice it as you add on more and more. The final step was to drybrush over again, but this time use a brighter coat. I used Polished Gold (Vallejo 72055) for first, and also for third. I was able to use it normally on first place since I wanted it to look very gold, but on the third place model I used it very lightly. Third place was supposed to be bronze so I wanted to make sure it had just a little extra luster to help distinguish it from the gold, and I'm quite pleased with the results as you can see. For second place I used Silver (Vallejo 72052) in the same manner as gold.
These trophies will be given away as prizes for my very first Malifaux tournament! Come on out and play if you want a shot at one of these beautiful pieces!
I haven't neglected my commission though. Painted another two wights for the growing hoard.
I may have mentioned before that the Wights are supposed to have black armor, but painting black so that it looks good is a bit tricky. Either you use a dark grey for a highlight or a dark blue depending on how you want the shade to show up. For the wights I've been using an Imperial/dark blue, drybrushing it with chainmail, and then washing it with a black ink.
If the black has too much blue showing up I just wash over it with another thin coat of black ink and that usually does the trick. If these wights look like they're standing funny then give yourself a prize! Both wights had problems with the ankles, and I had to re-glue and pin both of them to some extent. The pins fit in with the bone though so that worked out nicely.
Coming up on Friday I plan to do a large amount of painting. Or hope to anyways. With luck I'll have a nice pile of freshly painted miniatures to talk about Friday night!